Monday, September 29, 2008

I Finally Did It This Weekend

The schedule since I started Medicine has been absolutely ridiculous. I have no idea how the medicine residents survive three years of this insanity. Eleven to 12 hour work days that are non-stop crazy busy with the pager filling up at least twice each shift, and then on call every fourth night for 32+ hour shifts (the new resident law says no more 30 hours of work allowed in a row, but whatever) and getting no more than 1.5 hrs of sleep at the most while caring for truly medically ill patients. One weekday (i.e. no weekend days) off for every seven days of this out of control schedule. At the end of the first week, I was completely exhausted and officially hated Medicine.

I was sitting at home on Friday night to gather up my strength for getting up again at 5a on Saturday for another day of this stressful stuff when I got a text message from someone special I had not seen or heard from in quite some time, inviting me out on the town for some jazz. My first inclination was to decline since I was exhausted and had to get up at the crack of dawn. Then I thought better of it and said, fuck it, I only live once, and I'm already sleep deprived, so what's another lost night of sleep? We met at The Jazz Showcase and saw Chris Potter Underground perform. I was so sleepy, I could barely keep my eyes open, but it was a great show! Sensuous sax tones and great extended vigorous drum solos made for a wonderful session. I didn't get much sleep that night, but felt so rejuvenated by the change of scenery and being out relaxing with a couple of drinks, amazing music, and great company.

Saturday a.m. was rough though. Oy! But, the benefit of going to work early is the beauty of being able to enjoy a gorgeous sunrise. Here is the downtown view I enjoyed as I was walking in to work, sleepy but light on my feet from my previous night's debauchery.

I knew I had to hustle to get my work done early on Saturday because I had an appointment that afternoon that I had been contemplating for months and struggling to fit in for weeks: permanent hair straightening. I was born cursed with a frizzy, unruly mane that has been untamed since the day I left the cozy comfort of my mother's uterus. Ever since I heard of a way to enjoy permanently straight hair so that I could be that girl that I have always aspired to be - the wash & go girl - I have been covetous of its easygoing status.

After a lot of stress on Saturday a.m. to get all my work done in time, I finally found myself in Andrea's chair at Orbit beauty salon for a four-hour long session of conquering my DNA by converting my bird's nest into smooth and straight shampoo commercial-like silk. I was exhausted from my lack of sleep and it was such a relaxing procedure that I had to struggle to stay awake and upright. But, once it was done, voila - silken and bone straight! It's almost too straight and will take some getting used to, but what a magical change. And the girl who did my hair, Andrea, is a true artist and super sweet! She takes her work seriously and does a very thorough job. If you are looking for a new stylist, I cannot recommend Andrea enough. You can find her here.

No comments: